Thursday 12 March 2015

Fearless Females - March 12 - working life

Blogging prompt for March 12 is - did your mother or grandmother work outside the home?

Neither my grandmother or mother worked outside the home after they were married. My grandmother was a nurse before she married and my mother started to do her nursing training but left after one year. However, my mother's sister Joan worked outside the home, both before & after marriage. Joan had done an office skills course after graduating from the Girls' Grammar School in Brisbane and was an extremely organised, efficient person.

I remember her being employed as a comptometer operator for an insurance office, I am unsure which one, in Queen Street, Brisbane in the 1950s and 1960s. The office would have looked just like the one below taken in England in 1951. She was very proud of being a comptometer operator and her speed and accuracy. Office work was so different then.


G1620  Comptometer Section in East Works taken in December 1951Bristol Aeroplane Company/Rolls-Royce



No comments:

Post a Comment