Monday 2 March 2015

Fearless Females - March 2 - Dorothy May Thomas

The blogging prompt for March 2 - post a photo of one of your female ancestors.


I have chosen this photo of my maternal grandmother Dorothy May Thomas, taken by the St Austell Studio in Mackay, Queensland. The image was taken at the photographer's studio with Dorothy May  dressed in a Welsh girl's costume for a fancy-dress ball.  She was about six, so the date was approximately 1904.

I chose this for two reasons; my grandmother loved this photo and often showed it to me telling me that the Thomas family was from Wales. How interesting to find that they were from Somerset, England and not from Wales. Well, of course, they could have originally been from Wales but imagine trying to find the correct James Thomas in Wales!

No comments:

Post a Comment