Friday 10 April 2015

I is for Isadora (#AtoZChallenge)

I is for Isadora (#AtoZChallenge)
Names starting with I makes me think about the 'I names' that aren't used so much today. In my family file, there are fifteen women named Ida, none later than 1912; five named Ina, none later than 1909; twenty-four named Irene, none later than 1930 and so on ...

For no particular reason, I have decided on Isadora Gertrude May Hinkson, my 3rd cousin four times removed. Isadora was born on the 31st May 1862 in St Joseph, Barbados, the twelveth child of Mary Jane Proverbs and Samuel Gibbes Hinkson. The Hinkson family was large, fifteen children, six boys, and nine girls. Several of the Hinksopn family moved to Iowa in  the United States around the early 1880s. Isadora married Willie Houghtaling on the 7th September 1885 in Iowa. The couple had six children, four girls and two boys. Isadora died on the 14th June 1944 in Greeley, Colorado.

Isidora sometimes spelled Isadora is a female given name of Greek origin, "gift of [the goddess] Isis"). The male equivalent is Isidore. The name survived the suppression of the worship of the Egyptian goddess Isis in the newly Christianised Roman Empire and is, among others, the name of several Christian saints (Wikipedia). 


This post is part of the 2015 Blogging from A to Z Challenge. My theme is Names: First Names from My Family File. Stay tuned for the rest of the alphabet, and if you'd like to check out the other A to Z participants, simply click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment