Wednesday 22 April 2015

S is for Sarjeant (#AtoZChallenge)

S is for Sarjeant. (#AtoZChallenge)

S could be for Samuel, after all I have thirty-three of them in my family file. It obviously was a very popular name in my family. However, I am going to write about a recently discovered family line in my tree, the Sarjeant line.

As I have written before I have a fascinating family connection to Barbados through my 3rd great-grandmother, Mary Sarsfield Donovan, descended from Johannis Proverbs, my ninth great-grandfather who died in Barbados in 1685. 

So while exploring the Barbados family history I came across my 4th great-great aunt, Jane or Jean Proverbs who married James Edghill. Now the Edghill name occurs here and there in the family tree, so I thought it worth investigating, as you do. Jane's son William Bracey Edghill (Bracey is another recurring family name) married Sarah Elizabeth Archer in St Phillip Barbados in 1829 and their daughter Frances Elizabeth Edghill married, wait for it, Joseph Courier Saramento Lewis Sarjeant- also known as Joseph Saramento. I had more or less ignored this line; after all, it is peripheral but being a bit bored recently I decided to explore, again, as you do.

What I found was an interesting, indeed fascinating group of people who moved between, Barbados, Trinidad, United Staes and Venezuela. It has become quite absorbing to trace their movements across the United States, many ending in California. 

I have thought about their movements and related them to my Australian families that moved to Australia from Irelan, England, Scotland, and Portugal. Just yesterday I found that a 5th cousin once removed, Richard Maxwell Sarjeant died in Adelaide, South Australia in 1990. It appears that Richard, his wife and his widowed mother Elsie Violet Maude Sarjeant moved to Australia shortly after his father died in Barbados in 1964. Another connection, albeit a distant one. A new resolve to visit Barbados ...



This post is part of the 2015 Blogging from A to Z Challenge. My theme is Names: First Names from My Family File. Stay tuned for the rest of the alphabet, and if you'd like to check out the other A to Z participants, simply click here

No comments:

Post a Comment